Cinnamon Crumb Cake (Low-Fat!)

How many times have you tasted something so delicious that you absolutely must learn how to make it? For me, this happens way too often, and most of the time, I don't have the requisite recipe, tools, or psychic ability to recreate a dish. But yesterday, I was able to successfully duplicate, maybe even elevate, my most favorite food moment from our weekend in Shenandoah: the oh so satisfying Cinnamon Crumb Cake.  
 
Now, I'm not a breakfast person. In fact, I'm one of those people who would rather move on to lunch because I prefer salty dishes to syrupy, sweet meals. Granted, I wouldn't turn down some pancakes if it's ready on a plate alongside a generous portion of bacon. And I was actually pretty excited when the lovely hosts at Fox Hill B&B placed this breakfast medley in front of me.
But as good as it was, it didn't come close to how much I enjoyed the Cinnamon Crumb Cake.  Its crazy light and fluffy, so yummy, and demonstrates the perfect balance of sugar, spice, and everything nice. And its also low-fat!!! Which is fanfreakintastic, because I can certainly take down way too much of its delicious goodness. 
Look, even Talula is ogling it down. Oh uh uh, girl! That's all for me!!!
I was really, super delighted to find out how simple this cake was to make. Hubs is already thinking of all the different possible variations including bananas, nuts, berries, etc. Next time, I will try using whole wheat flour, butter substitute, and truvia to cut out even more calories and sugar. Either way, it will definitely be part of our regular recipe rotation, and it's easy enough for entertaining. Ok, let's get down to business. 

Cinnamon Crumb Cake (courtesy of Fox Hill B&B)
Serves 8
1 ¼ cups flour
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces

½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup low-fat buttermilk (for lower fat, use non-fat buttermilk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg (for lower fat, substitute with 1 ½ egg whites) 
cooking spray

1.Preheat oven to 350º

2.Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Add butter and combine until mixture resembles coarse meal. SET ASIDE ½ CUP OF THIS MIXTURE FOR CRUMB TOPPING.

3.Add baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, vanilla and egg to remaining flour mixture; beat with mixer until blended.

4.Spoon batter into 8” round cake pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Sharply tap pan once on counter to remove air bubbles. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup of reserved butter-flour mixture.

5.Bake 350º for 20-30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center. Cool on wire rack.   
 
Serve with butter, whipped cream, fresh berries, or just a hot cup of joe, and you've got yourself a fabulous, yummy treat to start a great morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment