DC Weekend Fun

Even though we've been in DC for a year now, Hubs and I have 9283749837 more things to do and places to see in the nation's capital.  We decided that by the end of 2011, we should have at least tackled (figuratively; literally = federal prison) the headquarters for each of the three main branches of our U.S. government.  So that means the Capitol, the White House, and the Supreme Court.  I get goose bumps just thinking about the fascinating history and immense impact generated within these three buildings.  The first one we checked off the list is the ("gettin on my") nerve center for our legislative body, the U.S. Capitol.
Check out the interior of the rotunda.  My poor, standard camera couldn't capture it's ginormous size; 96 feet in diameter and 180 feet from the floor to the canopy. Try not to be impressed when you're surrounded by an orchestra of architecture, prominent statues, period paintings, and corridors connecting the House of Representatives and Senate sides of the Capitol.
The fresco at the top is The Apotheosis of Washington painted by Constantino Brumidi who also worked in the Vatican. After emigrating to America, he said "My one ambition and daily prayer is that I may live long enough to make beautiful the Capitol of the one country on earth in which there is liberty.” 
With our headphones, listening to Eric, the coolest, most awesome tour guide, overflowing with historical knowledge. I really wanted to ask him to be friends and invite him over for dinner, but Hubs said that would be strange, somewhat creepy, and mostly nerdy.  Maybe I can find him on facebook...   
After the Capitol tour, we walked through the tunnel to the Library of Congress.  
 
I am quite fond of the distinct library smell and the idea of having 982379832723487 books waiting eagerly to be selected and read, and this library is extreme.  It's the largest library in the world by shelf space and number of books and is comprised of three separate buildings.  The Main Reading Room, which is what most people think of, can be viewed from a balcony, but it's also open for use to the public.  Yep, that means you and I can actually sift through the library collections and read the same books that was read by JFK or maybe even Thomas Jefferson!  Goosebumps again!  

Before our tour, we had lunch at Good Stuff Eatery, owned by Top Chef celebrity Spike Mendelsohn.  
Hubs had the Coletti's Smokeouse Burger, I got the Classic Wedge, and we shared the Village Snack Fries.  Yep, that's the snack portion of fries.  They must have the same measuring cup as Five Guys.
One of the very few reality shows I allow myself to watch is Top Chef, and if you love it as I do, you would have been totally psyched just as I was when Spike showed up for work that day. 
 
As you can see, I tuned in to my inner groupie and asked him for a photo.  He sooo wanted to come with us and join us for our tour, I could tell, but he had to stay at work.  It's okay, I'm sure we'll hang out sometime soon.  I plan on checking out Graffiato soon, opened recently by another Top Chef favorite, Mike Isabella, especially after reading this post by Bitches Who Brunch.  Maybe Mike will join us for our tour of the White House!  I'll let you know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment